Healthy Baked Ziti - Recipe
Updated: Feb 15
Back at it again with another recipe!
Eating healthy doesn’t always mean depriving yourself of yummy goodness. And that’s exactly what I’m bringing you today.
This is just my take on a healthier baked ziti, super easy to make and even easier to sneak in some extra veggies for yourself or family!
1. I started off by prepping my ingredients: chopping up a bunch of garlic, a large tomato and a ton of mushrooms (I used white button mushrooms here).
2. I threw all of that into a pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper to sauté. The tomatoes and mushrooms are going to let off a ton of water, so just cook that down until majority of the juice is gone.
3. I added in some lean ground turkey and made sure to break it up as it was cooking. The turkey will also let off its own water, so make sure you cook all of that down and the turkey cooks thoroughly.
4. Once it’s cooked, make sure to taste for salt (and add extra if needed). I also spiced it up with more black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried oregano and dried parsley.
5. Then add in your favorite tomato sauce; you can either make your own or use store bought pasta sauce. Mix and set aside to cool.
6. In another pot, bring some water to a boil and cook up your pasta of choice. I chose ziti, of course!
7. Once cooked, drain and add to your meat mixture, which should resemble a bolognese sauce. Mix everything up and place into a baking dish.
8. Now add your cheese! I mixed in a four cheese blend and was pretty light on how much I added as I don’t eat too much dairy.
9. Sprinkle a little extra cheese on top, then bake it off until everything is melted and you’re done!
This is a perfect way to sneak in any veggies you have on hand, as long as you chop them small. And this dish is perfect for freezing or meal prepping for the week as well!
-Salt & Pepper
-Spice Blend (Oregano, Red Pepper Flakes, Parsley, Onion Powder, Paprika)
-Pasta of Choice (Ziti, Penne, Rigatoni)